Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Flags of South America

While learning about flags of South American countries, we have also been honing phonemic awareness skills with the following lesson.  A big thank you goes to Every Star is Different for providing a link to download these great cards!  Prior to placing the activity on the shelf, I had taken a few days to introduce the cards/flags at circle time.  For example, one morning we would look at a few cards and the following day a few more were introduced.  We did this for several days until all the cards were  familiar.  Then, the activity was placed on the shelf:

Flags of South America with numbers for syllable counting.

The child identifies the flag, says the country's name, and claps the corresponding syllables.

Lastly, a small stone is placed on the corresponding number to match the number of syllables (claps).

4 comments:

  1. You know what I'm going to say, right?

    This is such a great idea! What a great way to combine paths of learning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These cards are great - and I hear the children clapping and listening to syllables everywhere now that they've had this experience...

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you're enjoying the cards! I just love your blog and read it often. What I'd give to be in your classroom. So many great things going on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks! When I saw your cards, I knew they needed to be a part of our classroom - thanks so much for making and sharing them! :-)

    ReplyDelete